Alps Mountaineering is a company based in Missouri that is dedicated to offering more gear to people who want to enjoy the great outdoors. This company’s Alps Mountaineering Vertex 4 backpacking tent is one of the most sought after camping tents.
This Alps Vertex 4 review will take a look at this tent as well as another Alps Mountaineering 4 man tent, and a third tent by another company.
Please keep in mind whenever reading tent reviews, that when manufacturer’s state the per person size of a tent, they are counting the number of sleeping bags that will fit side to side. If you plan on using air mattresses or other items of camping comfort, you will find that you are not going to be able to fit the stated number of people inside the tent. The rule of thumb for tent buying is, always buy a tent one or two “people” larger than you actually have. So if you have 4 people, consider a 5 or 6 person tent to ensure you are comfortable and don’t resemble sardines in a can!
The Alps Mountaineering Vertex 4 Backpacking Tent
The Alps Mountaineering Vertex 4 Backpacking tent is the perfect size tent for family camping.
It has all of the features that you would want in a family tent.
These features include:
- Free standing 2-pole design
- Aluminium poles
- Polyester fly and floor seams, factory sealed
- 2 doors with zipped mesh windows
- Extra large doors making it easy to get in and out of the tent
- 2 Vestibules
- Mesh roof
- 7 ½ feet by 8 ½ feet
- Center height 4 feet
- 31 square feet vestibules
- Pack size 8 by 22 inches
- 3 season tent
- Rain fly
Although this is a 4-person tent meant to hold 4 adults, the Alps Mountaineering Vertex 4 Backpacking tent is best suited for 3 people or 2 adults and 2 children.
While its weight actually makes this tent better for transport by motorcycle or car, it can be used for backpacking or hiking if divided between campers.
The two vestibules are great for keeping shoes and boots dry without dirtying the tents.
What The Reviews Have To Say
Reviews for the Alps Mountaineering Vertex 4 Backpacking tent are quite positive with this tent receiving impressive ratings across the internet.
Customers like this tent for a number of reasons including:
- Easy to set up. The well designed lightweight poles and clips help this tent to go up easily, even after dark
- Easy to take down
- Fairly lightweight
- Overall design is great
- Roomy (more for 2 or 3 people than 4)
There are a couple of things that customers found that they did not like about this tent including:
- It is difficult to get some replacement parts for this tent
- A few people found slight leaking in heavy rains
Overall, this is a well made, fairly inexpensive 4 man tent that should hold up well for late spring to early fall camping.
However, we recommend that if you purchase this tent, or any tent for that matter, that you purchase a suitable footprint or tarp to place under the ground to help protect the tent bottom.
Alps Mountaineering Lynx 4 Tent (4 Person 3-Season)
The Alps Mountaineering Lynx 4 tent is designed for 4 people and made to stand up to whatever the weather condition bring for spring, summer, and fall.
Here are some of the features that makes this tent a good choice for many:
- Floor is polyester with 1500mm urethane coating
- Freestanding tent
- 2 doors
- 2 poles with clip pole attachment
- 64 square feet floor square 7 ½ by 8 ½ feet
- Interior Height 4 feet 4 inches
- 25 square feet vestibule space
- Packed size 8X22 inches
- 4 half mesh walls
- Trail weight 7 pounds 9 ounces
The Alps Mountaineering Lynx 4 tent is ideal for small families who enjoy spending time together in the great outdoors.
The two doors entrance means that people can get up in the middle of the night without waking up everyone in the tent.
The half mesh walls should allow plenty of ventilation, which will help keep condensation from forming.
What The Reviews Have To Say
There are a few reviews for the Lynx 4 tent scattered across the internet, with customers rating this tent from anywhere between average and great.
Here are some of the things that customers liked and didn’t like about this tent:
- They liked the fact that this tent had great venting that kept the tent free of humidity
- They also liked the lightweight poles which made the tent easy to set up and take down
- It’s comfortable and roomy for two or three people
- The vestibules are a nice touch
However, one or two people had trouble with the strap for the poles breaking when they attempted to set up the tent.
Overall, this tent appears to be well made and durable enough for most camping needs.
Slumberjack 4 Person Trail Tent
This company is dedicated to helping ensure that the time you spend outdoors is comfortable and enjoyable.
The Slumberjack 4 person trail tent is just one of the many items they offer, to see to it that you have the best outdoor experience possible.
The Slumberjack 4 person tent is a freestanding tent that is designed for 3 or 4 people to use when camping in the great outdoors.
Some of the features of this tent include:
- Rain fly to keep water off your tent and reduce inside condensation
- 2 vestibules for the storage of shoes and packs
- Color coded clips to make setting up the tent easier
- Fiber glass poles
- Taped seams for extra strength and water proofing
- Mesh wall panels for plenty of ventilation
- Packed weight 11 pounds 15 ounces
- Dimensions:98X93X59 inches
- 56.5 square feet of floor space
- Each vestibule is 16.7 square feet
- Packed dimensions are: 7.5 X 28
- Inside storage pockets keep small items safely off the floor
- Mesh dome
- Double doors
- Shipped to select countries outside the USA.
This tent is a good size for car camping, but the pack size and weight would make this tent a little large for hiking, even divided between two people.
The mesh walls and dome should allow for plenty of ventilation.
However, one would want to keep the rain fly handy and ready to use at a moments notice, in case of heavy dew or rain.
This would be a great tent for star gazing on clear nights.
What The Reviews Have To Say
Reviews for the Slumberjack tent are quite positive, with this tent earning impressive feedback from customers.
There were many things that customers liked about this tent including:
- 2 doors with vestibules
- Storage pockets. Many users felt that these pockets were actually quite handy
- Easy to pack
- Good quality
- Keeps dry in the rain
- Sturdily built
- Great ventilation
There were a couple of things that customers did not like or felt could be improved.
These things included:
- Fiberglass Poles: Some customers suggested purchasing aluminium poles to use instead, so that you won’t have to worry about breakage
- The Center Seam In The Floor Of The Tent: While most customers felt that the floor seam was sealed and sewn so that it was sturdy, they still felt it was a cause for some concern, and suggested that people purchasing this tent made sure they kept a tarp under the floor at all times (which is actually recommended for all tents)
Overall most customers recommended this tent and felt it was excellent value for the price.
Enjoyed this review? Share it with others